Burghley House: walled garden restoration
The client: Messenger Construction
The site: Burghley House, Stamford, Lincolnshire, is arguably one of the finest surviving Elizabethan houses in England. The house was built by William Cecil, Queen Elizabeth’s Lord High Treasurer, construction began in 1555 and continued into the 1580s. There are more than 2000 acres of gardens and parkland maintained at Burghley House, including a sculpture garden and deer park. Parkland is open free to the public all year round.
The brief: To restore one of the country’s largest walled gardens back to its former 18th century glory, as overseen by landscape architects Cookson and Tickner. This included conserving and improving access routes to maximise enjoyment of the garden.
Our solution: We cleared and prepared the ground for planting of an assortment of nut and fruit trees including; plum, pear, cherry, apple and walnut. The planting design includes a willow walk tunnel and path and a fruit tunnel and espalier, these will establish over time. We fabricated and installed pergolas and constructed timber edged breedon gravel footpaths and vehicle access routes throughout the garden.
The result: An attractive walled garden with a variety of trees that can be enjoyed in the future by wildlife and visitors.